Here's what to expect on your first day:
- You will be directed to the Urologic Oncology Clinic.
- Sign in at the front desk of the clinic and complete the patient registration process. Be sure to provide your local address, telephone number, and insurance information.
- Complete the health questionnaires you will be given. Include the name, strength, and dosage of each medicine you are currently taking, including aspirin products and dietary supplements.
- A health care team (doctor, advanced care practitioner, and clinic nurse) will review your medical information.
- You will receive a thorough medical examination.
- The doctor will discuss your test results and treatment options with you.
If they have not already been forwarded to Huntsman Cancer Institute, please bring your medical records, reports, laboratory test results, X-rays, CT scans, ultrasounds. Also bring a list showing dosages of all the medications you are currently taking, including over-the-counter medications, pain relievers, vitamins, and other dietary supplements. If you need help with this, you can bring the prescription and product bottles with you.
To help doctors plan your treatment, bring or send your microscope slides and tissue blocks before your first appointment. Our clinical care specialist can help arrange this if you need assistance.
We also recommend that you bring the following materials to your appointment:
- appointment calendar or similar materials
- your insurance card(s) (both medical and dental)
- your doctor's referral or insurance authorization documents
- co-payment (if applicable)
- a list of your food allergies and your reactions to them
- a list of questions you want to ask your doctor
Bring a friend or family member to your appointments for support. They can take notes or tape record the visit so that you can focus on the conversation and review the information afterward. You will receive a lot of information on your first visit; therefore, a second set of ears and hands will be helpful.
Casual clothing and comfortable shoes are appropriate. The average summer temperature in Salt Lake City is 92.9 degrees Fahrenheit, while the average winter temperature is 36.4 degrees Fahrenheit. It is a good idea to bring a sweater because room temperatures can be cool any time of year.
The program clinic is located in Clinic A on the second floor of Huntsman Cancer Hospital. If you need help, you can get directions and wheelchair assistance at information desks in the first floor lobbies of Huntsman Cancer Institute's research and hospital buildings.
Directions and Map