Pharmacists in this area prepare and dispense a range of oral oncology medications and parenteral admixtures.
The central pharmacy also provides the following:
- Order entry for all hospitalized patients
- Clinical pharmacy support for surgical oncology
- A full technician staff on day and evening shifts
- Pharmacy student and intern support
Inpatient Clinical Pharmacy
Huntsman Cancer Institute has 100 inpatient beds and provides hematology, oncology, and 10 oncology surgical services.
Pharmacists on these services are responsible for the following:
- Participating on interdisciplinary medical rounds
- Ensuring the safety and appropriateness of chemotherapy regimens
- Educating other residents, students, and patients
Infusion Center Pharmacy
Huntsman Cancer Institute has 55 infusion stations for the administration of chemotherapy and other supportive care medications.
Pharmacists on this service are responsible for the following:
- Evaluating and processing chemotherapy orders
- Counseling patients on chemotherapy regimens
- Educating residents and students
- Participating on various tumor boards
This pharmacy is located on the first floor of the cancer hospital and is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The pharmacy staff offers patient counseling on the following:
- Hospital discharge prescriptions
- Oral chemotherapy
- Pain and palliative care medications
Investigational Drug Service (IDS)
The IDS, available to all investigators at Huntsman Cancer Institute, provides safe, effective, and efficient means of delivering investigational agents to patients. IDS operates in compliance with federal, state, and Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) requirements.
Blood and Marrow Transplant (BMT) Pharmacy
BMT clinical inpatient and outpatient pharmacists provide comprehensive care through the following:
- Integrated drug distribution, clinical services, research, and teaching
- Medical and nursing staff education
- Patient education to ensure proper management of medication regimens at home
Pharmacist-Managed Anemia Clinic
The pharmacist in this clinic provides patient counseling about anemia and available treatment options. The pharmacist orders laboratory tests and prescribes anemia treatment medications under a collaborative practice agreement protocol.
Technicians assist pharmacists in preparing and dispensing all medications, including chemotherapy.
Pharmacy interns assist with the following:
- Medication reconciliation
- Patient counseling in the outpatient pharmacy
- Medication order entry and parenteral medication compounding
- Clinical patient monitoring