A diagnosis of cancer is not just stressful for the patient, but for the entire family. Patients and family members may struggle with feelings of anxiety, stress, fear, depression, and helplessness. At Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI), Patient and Family Support is an important part of the team approach to treatment. Patient and Family Support staff can help patients and their loved ones answer questions, find resources, and reduce the distress associated with cancer.
Services include the following:
- Helping patients and their loved ones deal with a cancer diagnosis (including individual, couples, and family counseling).
- Supporting patients and their loved ones in making informed choices about care
- Teaching stress reduction skills and other mind-body techniques to aid in the healing process
- Assisting patients in accessing community resources
- Helping patients navigate the healthcare system
- Acting as a bridge between patients and medical teams to ensure patient's needs are met
- Supporting patients with their practical concerns such as transportation, housing, and work-related issues
- Helping patients complete health care directives
For more information, view the Patient and Family Support Services team.