- Message from the Founders and Executive Director
- Cutting-Edge Cancer Research Programs
- A National Contender in the Cancer Fight
- Investigational Therapeutics Offer the Last, Best Hope
- From Lab Discovery to Life-Saving Paraganglioma Screenings in Six Months
- New Presidential Professorships in Cancer Research
- "Vanity Almost Killed Me"
- First Worldwide Genetic Testing Guidelines for Melanoma
- Making Breast Cancer Personal: New Test Identifies the Best Individualized Treatment
- DNA Demethylation Discovery Opens Potential of Cellular Reprogramming
- Information is Power for Cancer Patients
- Beauty In The Building
- Reasons To Give
- Facts and Figures
- Leadership and Board Members
- Our Investigators
- Highlights From the Last 10 Years
- 2009 Annual Report Summary
In 1999, the doors of Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI) opened as the first step toward realizing our common dream: to eradicate cancer. In 2009, we celebrated 10 years of progress toward this goal.
Karen and Jon M. Huntsman
Founders and Principal Benefactors
The past decade witnessed the launch of research in our state-of-the-art laboratories and saw HCI develop into a comprehensive cancer campus—a place where individuals faced with cancer receive the most advanced treatment using cutting-edge technology applied by expert oncology care providers.
At the heart of our cancer campus is the world-class research facility. Thanks to unique access to extensive resources in family genetics, HCI investigators have made pivotal discoveries concerning cancer predisposition genes. Our strength in this science provides insights to cancer's very beginnings. The resulting advancements provide a strong foundation from which our scientists investigate cancer pathways, define the characteristics of predictable cancer, and develop all-important screening guidelines to help prevent cancer. Our researchers have discovered mechanisms that initiate tumor formation; they have shed new light on how cancers spread; and they lead the way to develop individualized oncology treatments uniquely tailored to each patient.
Huntsman Cancer Hospital, a crown jewel of our cancer campus, provides a vital link between laboratory science and patient care. The world-class clinical care offered is enhanced by extensive collaboration among our outstanding translational scientists and clinical researchers to fully personalize cancer treatment.
Mary Beckerle, PhD,
Scientific discoveries in the laboratory, innovative clinical research in our hospital, and outreach and education throughout Utah communities combine to make HCI a leader in the field. Over the past decade, our cancer campus has extended throughout Utah. Our strategic alliance with Intermountain Healthcare ensures the outstanding resources of HCI are widely accessible via clinical care, clinical trials, and cancer education centers located in Ogden, Murray, American Fork, Cedar City, and St. George.
During the first 10 years of HCI's operation, increasing numbers of Americans have made the leap from being cancer patients to cancer survivors. A decade of discovery has brought us ever closer to realizing our dream, and we remain steadfast in our resolve to defeat this disease. We are passionately dedicated to lighting the way so every patient has a reason to hope.